Feedback provided by SCIS subscribers shows that they value the quality and consistency of SCIS catalogue records. We are proud of the high standards that set our records apart.
SCIS cataloguers are trained to create records according to SCIS procedures, which include adherence to the following standards:
- SCIS Standards For Cataloguing and Data Entry (Updated September 2023)
- Resource Description And Access
- Guidelines to using SCIS Subject Headings
- ScOT Cataloguing and Indexing Guide
- Dewey Decimal and Abridged Dewey Decimal
- MARC Standards
SCIS procedures include applying strict and consistent authority control to records, including:
- assigning subject headings from both the SCIS Subject Headings List and the Schools Online Thesaurus (ScOT)
- referencing authorised names from the SCIS Name Authorities
- referencing authorised series titles from the SCIS Series Authorities
- applying genre headings to fiction works from the SCIS Genre Headings List.
The accuracy and consistency of our authorities are evaluated in ongoing quality assurance checks.
Other regular quality assurance tasks include:
- checking for punctuation and grammatical errors
- validating ISBNs
- correcting publication details
- validating URLs and active links
- validating RDA values.
SCIS Subject Heading list
The full SCIS Subject heading list, along with references, scope notes, indexing and specific example notes, is located at https://my.scisdata.com/standards
SCIS subject cataloguing is conducted with reference to this list and the following documents: